As I’ve delved a bit deeper into the blogging world, I have come across some seriously great blogs. The idea of ‘Food Fight Friday’ was one such find on Run DMT’s blog, and seeing that finding healthy recipes is something I need to keep this challenge on track, I thought I’d jump on the train and share my most worthy meal this week: Hearty Minestrone.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 rashers short-cut bacon, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic / 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1/2 sweet potato, diced (usually the recipe calls for normal potato but I didn’t have any, I think this worked even better)
- frozen peas and corn
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can 4 bean mix (drained)
- Vegeta used as vegetable stock to make up 1-1.5 litres
- 1 cup soup mix (you know those dried grains and lentils)
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1/4 cabbage, finely sliced
- Heat 1 tbs oil in large saucepan, add onions and bacon. Cook till fragrant.
- Add garlic, carrot, sweet potato and celery. Cook 2 mins.
- Add canned tomatoes, vegeta stock, 4 bean mix and soup mix.
- Bring to boil and then simmer on low for 30 mins to 2 hours
- Add peas, corn, macaroni and herbs. Cook a further 20 mins or until macaroni is al-dente
- Serve with a sprinkling of raw cabbage and crunchy bread (I love toasted turkish bread)